top of page
MN Green card attorney

Green Card Attorney
Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for lawful permanent resident status (also known as applying for a Green Card) when you are present in the United States1. This means that you may get a Green Card without having to return to your home country to complete visa processing. If you are outside of the United States, you must obtain your visa abroad through consular processing1.

To adjust your status through USCIS, you need to follow these steps:

  1. Determine if you are eligible to apply for a Green Card. You must meet certain eligibility criteria to apply for a Green Card through adjustment of status. For example, you must have been inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States, you must have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing your Form I-485, and you must not be inadmissible for certain reasons such as criminal history, immigration violations, or public health concerns.

  2. File Form I-485. You or someone else must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS1You must fill out this form completely and accurately and submit it along with the required supporting documents and fees1The supporting documents may include evidence of your identity, nationality, immigration status, family relationships, employment history, financial support, medical examination, and criminal record.

  3. Go to your Application Support Center appointment. After USCIS receives your Form I-485 and supporting documents, it will schedule an appointment for you at an Application Support Center (ASC) near your residence1At the ASC appointment, you will provide biometric information such as fingerprints, photographs, and signatures1.

  4. Go to your interview (if applicable). USCIS may schedule an interview with you if it needs more information about your case or if it wants to verify your eligibility for adjustment of status1The interview will be conducted by a USCIS officer who will ask you questions about your application and supporting documents1You should answer truthfully and completely and bring any additional evidence that may help your case.

  5. Respond to request for additional evidence (if applicable). USCIS may request more evidence from you if it needs clarification or verification of certain aspects of your case1You should respond promptly and accurately to any such requests and provide only the requested evidence.

  6. Check your case status. You can check the status of your case online using the USCIS Case Status Online tool1. You will need your receipt number from Form I-485 to access your case information.

  7. Receive a decision. USCIS will notify you in writing of its decision on your Form I-485 application1If your application is approved, you will receive a Green Card in the mail within a few weeks.

We have successfully helped thousands of people adjust their status in the United States. Feel free to call us to schedule a free consultation.


MN Green card attorney
bottom of page